Tuesday, September 06, 2005

New York - First Impressions

Well here is an update...bits and pieces of what I have written so far....
Today is Day 3 in the US and finally life seems to have picked up some pace for me! I arrived late sat afternoon and crashed to sleep around 8 pm; the next day joy had invited friends over for lunch so there was no way i could try getting over jet lag...was up in the morning, we went for a long walk in the woods (its about 5 min from her place) very forest type of place...will send u some pictures once i click them. It was raining on sunday here. That evening we slept around 9 and i woke up with body ache, was groggy....and still tired i guess. Yesterday - Monday - joy went to work...I went to a mall close by - about 15 min by bus....$1.25 one way! Spent some time there checking the place out. One cannot do much without having a vehicle here. It just impossible I had to wait for one hour for the bus yesterday when I left the mall and another 40 minutes before it arrived to take me there! And cabs are bloody expensive.

Immigration stamped my passport till my visa validity date. So legally I can now stay here till June 2006. No questions asked. I cant work on H4, can do some course tho...and can work under table....still have not figured out work scene here...and still not sure..Joy likes this place...and she can stay longer if we like.....its a big decision and this is my "window of opportunity". I need to use this time well

I will be going to Newport today (about 2 hours from here) and spend the night at Joy's boss's place...they are quite a couple, about our age only - Divyesh and yamini...he works for satyam, she for kanbay, hes gujju, shes tambram! He works in manhattan @ Nyse, so i shall go with him to manhattan tomorrow. joy will come back to work and be back at his place in the evening...a bit hectic for her...but she has no choice..there is absolutely nothing to do where she lives! Manhattan is where the action is...so Im going to get my first feel of it tomorrow and Im excited....

Today was a relaxed day...joy went to work...and i needed to sleep badly...so slept from 9 am to 2...and now i think life will roll normally....

the place is so clean, the air so fresh, its a different feel here....i still have loads to see...have done nothing yet...just wanted to spend as much time with joy. She has lost weight!!! ....and for one day...we felt as tho we are strangers!!!! it was that scary!! She has changed quite a bit....and I think for the better....we just need to spend lots of time together to catch up..

How are things back home....send me ure other id....if u prefer to stay in touch on that one.... i will write to everyone else later....just need to get some things in place here first....

My 6 weeks looks so short after coming here. I dont know whats store for me here in the future... i hope things will unfold soon and i have some clarity. DO confirm once u get this email. I am going to see either the women's final or the men's final and the women's doubles final of the US open LIVE at the flushing meadows on Sep 10/11!!! I am so excited man!


"Manhattan" Trip
I went to Manhattan yesterday and it was quite a site to see the financial district of USA. The wall street is really just a street, cars can barely enter that road - and only some VVIPs land up there in a car. I saw buildings of S&P, NYSE, Bank of NY, Chase Manhattan, and loads of other big names the world swears by! I went to Battery park - a place where all immigrants used to enter the US from years back. The WTC site has nothing but vacuum - there is a memorial called ground zero there in remembrance of the dead. I visited a vietnam war memorial too.

The parks here are lovely and there are so many places for people to just sit and pause in life. The so called Manhattan sky line is a lovely site at night from across Hudson river. There is a tunnel that cuts thru from under the river called Holland tunnel - built over a 120 years back which is where one crosses into NY from NJ

I spent a couple of hours at a bookstore called Border - its a chain here. There is a Barnes and Noble near Jayanti's office that I plan to visit tomorrow. I am quite confident that I should be able to pick up books for you and courier them to you. Do send me that list of books you want.

Its been only 5 days here and I finally seem to be finding my bearings here. Jayanti is fine - its great to be with her finally. I was very emotional when I met her, suddenly life seemed to gush back within me. Am still finding it difficult to deal with all these emotions Im going thru. There are so many positive changes in her and its quite a challenge rediscovering her.

We have booked tickets to watch the finals of the US Open - Mens singles finals and womens doubles finals. We should be at flushing meadows all day on Sunday Sep 11. I am very excited to witness an event like this!

Life otherwise so far has been mixed - I was very tired the first 3 days and over the last couple of days I have picked up the pace. The long weekend is around the corner because of labour day - Jayanti will be showing me NY - Central Park, Times Square, Statue of Liberty. Its quite slow during the week since Joy is working, but I guess soon I shall be comfortable traveling around on my own. I have yet to have a subway experience, but have travelled the NJ transit trains and the Path that shuttles between 5 NJ and NY stations only.

People are very dependant on the Internet here and pretty much everything is done online. Theres an interesting site I thought you might like to visit - www.netflicks.com.
Its an online DVD rental service that has over 300000 subscribers across the US.

I am yet to get all "excited" about the US. The biggest plusses here I find are - convenience/ comfort/ time for oneself. Theres a buzz about the life here and people are quite spirited and energetic everywhere.

Ok...So I will keep u updated with more stuff...as and when I write...since u work late...i can possibly expect a reply today itself, confirming u received this email!

How are u? Not missing me too much, I hope....!!! Have u started a man hunt yet? Hows the job....do write
I will get u loads of chocolate!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home